.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rhettorical

The rantings, views and commentary of a right-winged criminal justice student on current events, politics, law, and even life. The goal of this blog is to allow the writer to vent on articles and experiences that make him angry and to open up discussions in a hostile atmosphere. So please sit back and relax as I convert you to the dark side.

Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

I'm a single 23 year-old Christian (non-denom) male from an undisclosed location in Kansas. I am in the process of furthering my education and hopefully starting up a career in law enforcement.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

It Could Always Be Worse!

Well I was out driving to work last night. I had my little sister with me since she wanted to see what I did for a living. Well I also found I was having car problems. So paying attention to both my sister and how the car sounded I accidently went over the center line. A deputy was assisting a city officer with someone pulled over so the deputy got behind me and pulled me over.

This is in my town, after the city officer was done he went to back the deputy. He was back there for about ten seconds and went on through. The deputy recognised me after seeing my DL, (I had done a ride-along with him 2 years prior.) I got a warning and was advised to drive more careful and was sent on my way.

My agency is very small. So small in fact I would not believe it if one person did not hear about me getting stopped. So this was the beginning of a not-s-good-evening.

On the way back from work I did hear about the female Salina officer accidently shooting a burglary suspect in the leg.


Grover was the first officer to respond to a burglar
alarm at the business. She checked the front of the building, then shined her
flashlight on the south side, where there are numerous garage doors. Her view of
the two doors closest to Ohio Street was obstructed because of pallets piled on
the parking, so she parked her patrol car, got out and approached the
building.
Grover saw a box on the ground and, above that, a hole about three
feet tall had been cut in the garage door. At that point, Grover didn't know
whether the damage had been done previously, or whether it was an entry point
for a burglar.
A stumble, a soft pop
Grover peered into the hole from a
few feet away and saw quick movement.
"She saw legs moving, and she saw a
gloved hand," Hill said, and she was "very startled."
Grover used her left
hand to push the button on her radio microphone, to tell dispatchers someone was
inside the building. At the same time, she stepped backward, away from the
building, and drew her gun from its holster.
She stumbled.
"At that time,
she heard what she described as a soft pop, and her weapon discharged," Hill
said.





It could always be worse! I felt a bit better.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hill said the gun, a 9 mm Glock semi-automatic, discharged as it cleared the holster, or about from the level of Grover’s hip.

The reporter makes it seem as though her gun fired itself, not that she had her finger on the trigger when she stumbled, which caused her to reflexively squeeze her hand trying to keep her balance, and she also squeezed her trigger finger.

Broke the trigger finger rule. Even so, it was accidental in that she didn't mean to fire at that time.

Good thing it wasn't a serious wound, and might cause the suspect to rethink his career line.

Of course the officer is under a lot of stress - she shot someone accidentally and even though he's a dirtbag, that doesn't mean she doesn't feel sorry for what she's caused. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is a civil suit filed over this shooting.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home