.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rhettorical

The rantings, views and commentary of a right-winged criminal justice student on current events, politics, law, and even life. The goal of this blog is to allow the writer to vent on articles and experiences that make him angry and to open up discussions in a hostile atmosphere. So please sit back and relax as I convert you to the dark side.

Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

I'm a single 23 year-old Christian (non-denom) male from an undisclosed location in Kansas. I am in the process of furthering my education and hopefully starting up a career in law enforcement.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Applauding Police Humor and the Job.

Lawdog has made some postings that has irked someone with a more liberal mindset and a bunch of comments have popped up when he has hinted at shutting down the blog.

I see his dilemma. I face it when I post and I have a load of funny stories. I just don't want to share them with the public because I am so new it would be pretty easy to figure out who was involved. Another problem is I am a very off-color humored person. So things that are very funny to me can irk the public in general. One of my most funniest incidences at college almost landed me in prison. (Joking about school shootings is not okay! But you really had to be there to see it!)

This is where Law Dog has his gift in getting the funny situation across without putting up the wall of "Us vs Them" Police vs John Q. Public attitude that divides people. I will stay away from that situation even if it means funny stories stay cooped up.


And with that said, I find it awesome that some members of the public are so supportive. They have some good comments with that link that are very nice and understanding of our situation. To quote two commentors on the above site:

THUNDER said...
DAWG! Anyone that has is fortunate to speak with you one-on-one through ANY
means of communication can tell that you are NOTHING like what that...uh...woman
(spoken loosely, but with as much respect as possible *chuckle*) claims you to
be.It all boils down to this:LEO's, ALL of them, regardless of population,
location, training level, crime rates, time on job, etc, have a tasking that
places their own sanity at risk- and the only way to handle it is to be able to
step back and look at the humor of any given situation. YOU have the uncanny
ability of presenting the police humor in such a way as to make MOST people
look at the job, and each situation you write about, the way you do. Through
your writings the "average reader" can put themselves in your shoes and, not
only see WHAT you see... but more importantly, IDENTIFY with HOW you see it.
This IS NOT, nor SHOULD NOT BE, viewed as stereotypical, sexist, racist,
masochistic, necropheliac, or any other five-dollar word that those with
over-active stomach acids want to throw at you.It is simply police humor, that
you are brave enough to share with the world. IMHO, the world needs to see more
of it to truly understand why a passing motorist can look to the side of the
road and see any number of LEO's amongst the chaos of hell itself seemingly
obliviou

s to the terror/pain, whilst still handling the situation itself. THAT,
my friend, is what you bring...an understanding that both, enlightens and
entertains, those that don't know any different.Keep it up Lawdog. Don't let the
voice of a few silence you. The voice of many would surly suffer for it.
6:48 AM


And:

Anonymous said...
Law Dog for what it's worth,
I second the opinion of the majority of the people that have responded earlier.
I've never been a LEO, but I spent 20(+) years in the military in Combat Arms
assignments: the Airborne Infantry for the most part. In my "Twilight Tour,"
just prior to retirement, I helped "run" a Military Training Facility in the
"Republic of Texas" that LEO's from the Local, State, and Federal level used on
a weekly basis. I still hang out with a couple from the local Sheriffs
Department that I met at the local range and through a Martial Arts Academy
where I practice. From what I've heard second hand through these friends and
acquaintances within the LEO community, I've got to say that what I hear in your
stories rings true. Most "war" stories in the military and LEO community, which
my "boss" (peace be upon her) would call testosterone laden, alcohol influenced
lies (doesn'tlady just doesn't have a sense of humor about certain things) follow,
for the most part, a simple pattern. Through no fault of the storyteller's part,
something interesting/scary/stupid/funny happens and by luck; be it blind/bad/
or other, the storyteller muddles through, somehow or another without being to
badly abused. Not only is the story, if told well, good entertainment, it is
also a teaching point for the newer, less experienced members of the community.
Which reminds me of the red, flashing light and the night parachute drop The
problem, as I see it, is that folks who have never been out on the "pointy end"
just can't understand the mindset of folks that have "walked the walk." They are
huddled in their soft, well-protected cocoons where the toughest thing they have
to face is a harshly spoken word directed towards them by one of their
co-workers or boss. (One of these days I need to tell you the story about the
inter-reaction I had with some folks from the Foreign Service on a small island
in the Caribbean.) Even though I no longer "run with the big dogs" (to old, fat,
bald and slow these days) I can still relive the good old days (vicariously of
course) by hanging out with the Young Turks at the Dojo and the Range, and at
your blog. Unless the Sheriff tells you to "tone it down a bit," and if it
continues to bring you as much pleasure to write your tales as it brings me and
others reading them, I would disregard the "PC" ankle-biters: "Sod em" as one
of my Brit "Para" buds would say. As a transplanted Texan residing in the
"People"s Republic of North Carolina" your stories of home, and the Law
Enforcement Community brighten my day immeasurably. Illegitimi Non Carborundum
10:23 AM



It is nice to see a change in the attitude of the public. When I first started in the CJ program I had no police friends online and a lot of hostility from those who were regulars at right-winged forums I visit. (Something that comes naturally for those who want smaller government and less restrictions.) The transition was very weird. But it is starting to mellow. The people are blaming the politicians over the peace enforcer. You all should even here what LEO's think of the law. Kansas has just passed that stupid Muffy's Law. Where you beat an animal you get a felony. That is all good for someone who dunks a puppy in acid. Which is the case that caused the law to be passed. But the average, and most adults do not abuse their animals in that way. And now you want to tell me I can't kick my dog for killing a chicken? One comment I overheard went: Give an officer a concussion or send a wife to jail and you get a misdemeanor. Step on your cat and you lose rights. So you all are not the only ones with these views.

So thanks again from one who has got a bit of a taste of what goes on to those who don't, but have an interest in learning what it is about and being supportive none-the-less. It is appreciated that someone can be thankful about the thankless job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home